Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Free Jah Jah Children (Militant Roots 2)

Militant Roots Pt. 2
More tuff late-70s selections, again many in extended discomix format. The music was changing towards the end of the decade as the new dancehall sound began to emerge though roots & culture still carry the swing. UK-based reggae groups like Aswad & Misty In Roots also gained greater recognition bringing with them a whole different vibe
 
 
Free Jah Jah Children!




Continuous mix 2.5 hours
Rewind Show on rastfm.com 21 Feb 2020

Tracks mostly from 1976-80 though 2 or 3 were recorded earlier. Quite a few Joe Gibbs Errol Thompson productions, also some Channel One, Talent Corp, DATC & Rockers Int. releases. Check Ferris Thomas' heartical Set Up Yourself for Gibbs. Original 1978 7'' mix of Bob Marley's Rastaman Live Up.

One time in the 90s I came across a heap of reggae records at a junk shop in Turnpike Lane London. So I made a b-line for a cashpoint and bought up the whole lot: I ended up giving the man £70 for well over 200 70s & 80s lps & 12''. That was a day I'll never forget! Loads of really crucial stuff. Among them was the Ghetto-Ology Dub album JA pressing. I already had the vocal lp so I was made up. But what an organic album sleeve!!


This copy actually has a perfect inaudible scratch on one track that loops the beat and it always took me ages to notice. A visiting friend once noted 'man, that's a really psychedelic dub!' It always caught me out haha...


4 comments:

  1. Fabulous junk shop find! My son now preparing to make room at his home for the albums and singles I bought in the late 70s and early 80s. Priceless. More thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i bet you got some real gems there... hope he's got space enough ;) is he still working towards that project? its amazing how music helps bring back so many different memories

      Delete
  2. He is..it'll take a while for them to raise the funding to be confident to make a proper start. I'd like to put him in touch at some point if you'd be happy with that - you'll have connections as well as immense knowledge that could be helpful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. of course! you got my mail? siamrootsical@gmail.com drop me a quick hello to make the link. whatsapp's cool too though i'm not putting my number up on here i'll pass it to you via email.

      Delete

Your thoughts and ideas are welcome... Higha vibrations.